As a psychotherapist and counsellor, I try to embrace what Science, Philosophy, the Arts and Politics can teach us about human existence and connection, being aware that each one of us has unique lived experiences. Psychotherapy happens when therapist and client “enter into a psychotherapeutic relationship where both work together to bring about positive change in the client’s thinking, feeling, behaviour and social functioning”. This process usually targets the recovery from mental health issues such as depression and anxiety, etc. Counselling works in a similar way, but without targetting a psychological diagnosis and usually with more specific short-term goals.
Besides offering psychotherapy and counselling, I am excited to innaugurate the new service of Ecotherapy Group sessions. Please, check the details for each service and get in contact if you need any more information.
I also want to emphasize that I have personal and professional experience with lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teenagers and adults, and I am committed to contributing as I can to diminish the various barriers that the 2SLGBTQ+ population still faces when looking for mental health services in Ontario. I have been training with Rainbow Health Ontario to offer 2SLGBTQ+ folks high-quality and affirmative care and I’m a corresponding member of the Hamilton Trans Health Coalition.
- Public: adolescents (13+) and adults
- Modality: in-person at our office in North Burlington or video sessions using Owl secured system
- Approaches: Mindfulness-CBT, Compassion Based Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Narrative Approach, Phenomenological-Existentialist, Humanistic Therapy, Ecopsychology.
- Issues: challenging life transitions, postpartum mood disorders, gender and sexuality-related oppression, anxiety disorders (separation anxiety, panic, social phobia, generalized anxiety), emotional eating, personality disorders (borderline personality, dependent personality, obsessive-compulsive personality disorders), other stress-related mental health issues.
- Public: youth (+13) and adults
- Narrative Approach to Career Counselling for youth and adults
- Parenting Counselling based on DBT Skills and Non-Violent Communication
- Skills learning for stress management
- Counselling for coping with chronic pain and chronic diseases
- Affirmative counselling to transgender individuals going through the transitioning process
Ecotherapy is based on Ecopsychology, a revigorating field of research and practices that aims to re-connect the human psychological experience to its natural environment. Our group sessions are held in conservation areas and public parks and are focused on the restoration and promotion of the participants and the planet’s well-being. During the encounters, you will be encouraged to re-familiarize your body with the outdoor natural spaces through your five senses, you will be guided in short-mindfulness practices and will have the opportunity to share with others with the mediation of a registered psychotherapist.
- Modality: Regular attendance or drop-in
- Public: youth (+16) and adults